James \Cubby\ Culbertson

While this doesn't answer your Cedar question, I have found the book "Canoe
Craft"
by Ted Moores to be a good reference for building a strip canoe. Mind
you, I haven't built one yet
but reading his book once, I feel pretty confident that I will. Good Luck.
Cheers,
cc

"Chuck" wrote in message
om...
Hi- It's been a couple years since I've looked into this forum and
much has changed in my life. I landed a dream job as a carpenter in a
boatyard on Lake Michigan doing woodworking the likes of which I never
dreamed I would be doing. (I actually look forward to Mondays!) Many
of the guys at work have their own boats, and before this job, the
most boating experience I ever had was with a 15' plastic Coleman
canoe I used on the pond behind my house in massachucetts, paddling
around with my little dog and chasing the geese all over. I sold that
canoe along with that house. Now I am inspired to build a canoe from
wooden strips and fiberglass. I have done some internet research on
this subject and I feel I am up to the task, but I was wondering if I
need to use Northern white cedar or can I use some other wood. Has
anyone here had any experience making a canoe like this? I would love
to have some input.

Chuck