Jim Behning

Theres a Rockler in town? Whats a Rockler? Never mind, I googled them.
I was at the Lilburn SMPT/Kentec yesterday. I did not know they were
there. I was looking for casters at HF. The Lilburn store reminds me
of the old Jimmy Carter store. A store to drool in unlike HF where you
have to look hard to find good stuff.

Greg G. wrote:

J T said:

Fri, Oct 8, 2004, 10:12pm Greg G. turns politician and says:
snip I don't buy HF stuff snip With that said, however, I was
pleasantly surprised by this set of tools. snip

You aren't related to Kerry, are you?

Actually, that would be GWB - Emperor of delusional Flip-Flops. :-o

Sounds like you DO buy HF stuff.

Have never bought anything there before now.
The only store around here is 30 miles away. Rockler is 12, Highland
Hardware is 7, Lowes and Home Despot are 3. Needless to say, I get
most stuff from Lowes. At least I did before they dumped all the good
stuff. There were many good deals - while they lasted.
Of course, I missed most of them. :-(

BOSS Spindle Sander with 6 spindles and drums - $119.00
22-580 2 speed planer - $215 - arghhh...
36-255L Laser CMS - $219
36-312 Industrial CMS - $189
LA200 mini lathe - $169
etc.

I've got a number of tools from them. Power and non-power. We do
have a store reasonably close now, so I get to look whatever over before
I buy. It isn't as pretty, or got quite as nice a finish, as a lot of
more expensive stuff, but a bunch of their stuff is just as good a
quality.

Well, they did have a Campbell Hausfeld compressor, a Dewalt CMS, and
an Amflo air-tool oiler. There were a couple of 1-2 HP electric
motors that looked OK - along with some really bad, sleeve bearing
motors made in China. Some of the stuff looked downright dangerous.

Every time I go in there, it's usually a bit crowded, what with all
the contractors and all buying stuff. Including power tools. Those
guys use the stuff to make a living. Good enough for them, sure good
enough for me.

It was crowded, but didn't see any contractors. I did see a lot of
illegals, however. And a bunch of old farts. (Like me.) All the
contractors were at Stone Mountains Power Tools/Kentec.

Happy owner of bench drill press, 37" wood lathe, 4" grinder, all
from HF, and all painted bright yellow. And, a user of a HF bench saw,
also painted bright yellow - it ain't the greatest, but with a carbide
blade it cuts good, and cuts straight - besides it's all I've got room
for, and all I could afford at the time, and isn't going to be replaced
until it breaks. Nyah. And, many HF hand tools.

Yea, your gaggle of pucky ducks made with the neon yellow tools is
legendary... ;-)

I was given a used HF "table saw" years ago. I used it twice when the
arbor bearing failed at 4000 RPM and sent the blade rattling around
inside the case. Had to change pants after that... And the saw went
to the green "storage bin" out by the street.

FWIW,

Greg G.