Bob Schmall

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
news:1097293011.Rh+n1k/i6qZ8D+HBQfZvrw@teranews...
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 13:01:31 GMT, "Bob Schmall"
wrote:

Hubris it is. Whether it is rooted in ego gratification or a sense of
being
lost in a conformist nation is a nice discussion in itself. Someone made
the
undeniable point to me that people have a right to build whatever they
want.
(He did not say "can afford.") Granted, but personal rights are not the
issue. Rather, where is the responsibility? Where is the very conservative
urge to not waste, to preserve, to "conserve?" My brother-in-law built a
3,600 sq ft. "retirement" home that is exactly twice the size of his
previous one, replete with pool and waterfall, 10 foot ceilings and video
theater. It's sad to think of all the good that might have been done with
just the money wasted in that home.

Bob

Why do you view something that someone has done with their own resources
for their satisfaction as money wasted and "not doing good?" Certainly
the people building the house benefited from its construction -- it
provided money and jobs.

As would the construction of an appropriately-scaled home.

Those supplying water and fuel will benefit as
will those who provide maintenance and upkeep or who provide the supplies
for those activities.

As would the construction of an appropriately scaled home.

It seems more Hubris to place oneself in judgement of what another does
with their resources and judging "all the good that might have been done
with just the money wasted ... "

The individual who built that McMansion has a sister who was fired for no
cause just before her husband contracted
the most vicious form of cancer. Part of his arm was cut out and he can't
work any more at his trade. Another sister's husband lost his career after
he had a stroke and couldn't return to his job. She works two jobs--at
59--to keep them going.
If he had built the house without the f-ing waterfall, he might have been
able to help them.
It is with great humility that I ask you to butt out of situations with
which you are not concerned, and cease from your own judgments of same.

Bob Schmall