Andy Dingley

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 01:27:30 GMT, "Newshound"
wrote:

I have several different brands that are labeled Forstner and they all have
pilot points,

Tiny little spear points though, which will have almost no effect when
trying to start a hole over an existing clearance hole. A twist drill
with a full cone in the centre, or a dedicated screw sinking bit with
a sized pilot, will be easier to guide.

If you have a drillpress, then you can probably use these Forstners
perfectly well. If you're drilling by hand, then it's likely to skid
right across the surface, the edge of the Forstner acting like a
wheel.

If your Fostners are cutting badly they must be dull, I get a nearly perfect
clean hole with mine.

Forstners have a large solid area, and in these small sizes that
doesn't allow space for chip clearance. I'm guessing the OP is working
in softwood here and shifting those chips might be a problem.

--
Smert' spamionam