steve

Default Tiling Question

"John" wrote in message
SWMBO has asked me to tile the kitchen. No problem there but the tiles

she
wants are oblong (approx 6" x 3") and she wants it to look like a brick

wall
effect, i.e. each row moved over half a tile. Has anybody any tips or
advice on how best to acheive this? Can you get " T " shaped spacers or

do
I have to cut one leg off of the normal " + " ones? Presumably this

would
take longer than 'normal' tiling as each row would have to be laid out
individually instead of tiling normally with standard spacers.

Have done exactly that in a kitchen recently. I just cut one leg off the + &
tiled away starting at the worktop & working along & up to meet the
underside of the cupboards.
As you say you can only do one row at a time which isn`t a huge problem. The
biggest hurdle I faced was positioning the tiles quickly before they set in
place (the backs of the tiles were not sealed hence had a lot of suction!).
When I got to the underside of the cupboard I just cut the tiles to fit -
you can`t see that anyway. It looks great & the brick effect pattern does it
justice.
When grouting I used normal grout for all but the bottom row gap between
first row of tiles & worktop - this I filled with a flexible sealant (mould
resistant).

Steve

P.S Buy or hire an electric tile cutter - they save loads of hassle & broken
tiles.