Michael Daly

On 8-Oct-2004, Ray Aldridge wrote:

And she would agree: "I've always described myself as a child
brought up on Christopher Alexander's A Pattern Language. It's a
fundamental text--something we can grow from. It's a great beginning. But
it would give wings to the profession if we weren't afraid to be
derivative."

I met a nearly-graduated architecture student recently. I asked her if
she'd learned about passive solar and other alternative architecture
approaches. She said no. I asked if she'd been introduced to "A
Pattern Language". No again.

Architects are taught to build ticky-tacky. IMNSHO - architecture has
failed society. Too pretentious and not practical. Afraid to lead
and to quick to copy. Claiming to be artists and originators but
inclined to follow blindly the latest fad. An architect that is
actually good is an oddball within the profession.

Mike