Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:54:43 -0600, "Jay Windley"
wrote:

"Rick Cook" wrote in message

| Because the people they're trying to impress wouldn't know good
| design and fine workmanship if it ran out from under the front
| porch and bit them on the leg.

That's really too bad.

| Depends on what you're trying to do. My wife and I occasionally
| play the 'when we win the lottery' game where we design our ideal
| house.

Yes, I do that too.

Obviously you have to stay within your means on any project, and that means
trade-offs. At least with me there's always a difference between what I
want and what I can afford. The band saw I really want isn't the band saw I
can afford. Which is okay too, in a way, because the band saw I really want
would only fit in the shop I really want, which again isn't the shop I can
afford.

I suppose we all have our own ideas about what constitutes "nice things".

--Jay

... and there I think you have hit the crux of it. If people are
acquiring these kinds of homes because that is what those people consider
"nice things", then who are any of us to denigrate that? OTOH, if someone
acquires anything: large house, small but elegant house, etc. simply to
impress others, then that is truly a sad thing. It's not the things we
have that necessarily give satisfaction, but what we do with the things we
have that give that satisfaction.