Ray Aldridge

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:31:21 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

I had read both of Sarah's books prior to finding that at the
library and found it to be similar but not as good/insightful.

OK, I Googled around and found mention of Sarah Susanka: If this is the
person, I also found an article in Residential Architecture. An excerpt:

Others claim Susanka was not the first to argue for better-designed houses
or to explain the importance of intimate, human-scaled spaces within the
home. And she would agree: "I've always described myself as a child
brought up on Christopher Alexander's A Pattern Language. It's a
fundamental text--something we can grow from. It's a great beginning. But
it would give wings to the profession if we weren't afraid to be
derivative."

Good work can certainly be derivative. That's the whole point of A
Pattern Language, I think.

I'll have to see if I can get copies of the Susanka book. They look very
interesting.