Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy Dingley"

Forstner bit is the wrong tool. It's hard to find them that small and
they cut badly. You may also find that it's easier to locate a drill
with a central pilot.

You mean the hundreds of countersunk and plugged holes I've done are wrong?
I chose Forster bit because they cut so well and the ones I have do have a
central pilot. (see Lee Valley)

Many ways to accomplish the task but I want as perfect a fit I can get. I
mark the holes and drill a 3/8" dia. hole about 3/8" deep with the Forstner
bit. The Forstners also have a point so locating the bit to the mark is easy
and accurate. Then I use a twist drill or a drill with countersink to make
a pilot hole. After sinking the screw, I can plug the holes with tapered
plugs for a very nice finish. The drilling can be done in one step but I
like the control of doing the countersink on the drill press. I'm not
running a production shop so a few extra minutes if OK.

The tapered plug cutters from Lee Valley do a good job. There is a saw made
for trimming plugs and then just sand or plane as you see fit.

On some projects, like a pine kids picnic table, I used dowels instead of
plugs. They have end grain showing and are not as attractive as plugs, IMO,
but they work. Done right, they look pretty good with the contrast of woods
when finished.
Ed