J. Clarke

Bill Stock wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Bill Stock wrote:

The new Ve-hicle came with roof racks, so I thought I was in sheet good
heaven. But upon closer inspection, these factory racks don't seem up
to much. I imagine they would scuff up in no time and they have no
simple/fast way to secure goods.

I was thinking I could make a 2x4 box (50x98) and dado a some plywood
into the bottom. I'd make a similar cover for the top, with wing nuts
to hold it down.

I think you can buy the glides that sit in the track, so I could use

these
to hold the contraption on. I could also use the U bolt trick to hold
it to the existing frame.

If it's a factory rack odds are that its weight capacity is very limited,
and take their word for it, they mean it (DAMHIKT).

First thing you want to do is put an aftermarket rack on it. I use a

Yakima
with 58" crossbars that make it easy to secure plywood. The weight
capacity is still going to be pretty limited if it has to secure to the
factory rails but will be better than the factory rack and give you
straight bars instead of curved. If you can use a removable rack you may
be able to carry more weight.

Thanks John,

I checked out their website and the roof is only rated for 165 pounds
including the weight of the rack. ****, I might as well make a trailer for
my bicyle.

It's kind of pathetic actually. I made the mistake of trading a Cherokee
for a Grand Cherokee. The Cherokee had gutters, and could take a real
rack, the Grand can just take attachments to the factory rails and can
barely hold a couple of empty kayaks.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)