Robert Bonomi

In article ,
igor wrote:
I have many hundreds and hundreds of 1" cut-offs to make from 48" lengths
of 1x2 stock. After thoughts about ganging the cuts, as I've done these
over the past months I have found it is not too bad to cut them one 48"
strip at a time with an Incra 1000 miter gauge on my TS -- like the guy
slicing meat at the deli counter. .

Anyway, numbers are going up for how many I have to do and I am again
thinking about some gang set-up. Also, I think I could get smoother cuts
- I think the stock is not staying solidly against the miter gauge in
relation to the blade as I make the cross-cut.

My safety concern is about the cut-offs getting jammed against the stop
that is 1" away from the far side of the blade.

At present, doing 1 strip at a time, no problem: I slide the stock to the
stop which is attached to the opposite miter slot and then use the miter
gauge to push the stock through the blade. The stop stays where it is so
the cut-off is free as it is sliced off.

I could build a sled so I could gang cut maybe 7 strips at a time. But, I
think that the sled could only ride in one slot since it would seem safer
to have the stop for the multiple strips stay in front of/before the blade
as the strips get pushed into the blade -- so they do not get jammed and
start flying. IOW, push all of the strips up to the stop and the strips
are no longer in contact with the stop as the cut-offs are made. So, I
could not use a sled that slids in both miter slots. I am wondering if
using only one miter slot will be stable enough for 4' stock/

I thought of using my RAS. It's easier to pull/push the blade on its
carriage hundreds of times than it is to push a 4' long sled with stock on
it back and forth But here I am also concerned about the cut-offs getting
jammed against the stop. I would have a long-projecting stop from the
fence that would stop all of the strips for 1" cut-offs. If I have 12
strips -- so 12" total from the fence of my 10" RAS -- as the blade is
cutting the strips farthest from the fence, and as the blade is returned
back after cutting, I am concerned that the cut-offs will jam between the
blade and the stop and become airborne.

Any thoughts on this? Are the safety concerns real?

Yeah, the safety concerns are _valid_.

Any clever jig ideas?

Settle for doing 3 or 4 at a time, instead of 7.

position 'em so the 2" dimension is vertical.

use basically your existing setup.

but add a quick-release clamp to anchor the whole mess to the miter gauge.

the process then becomes:
1) slide the 'group' of boards against the stop
2) clamp to miter gauge.
3) pass across the blade, and return
4) release clamp
[repeat until boards are used up, then get new boards.]