Andy Dingley

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:55:01 GMT, "Corey" wrote:

I plan on using woodscrews to attach the pieces.

Don't rule out rebated lap joints or dadoes. Screws are strong, but
they're not very rigid. In a class you should be able to improve
things with only a little effort.

I'm also planning on
"sinking the screw head into a larger hole" (not sure what to call that)

Counterboring.

with a forstener bit and cutting my own plugs to fill in the hole.

Forstner bit is the wrong tool. It's hard to find them that small and
they cut badly. You may also find that it's easier to locate a drill
with a central pilot.

I'd buy a pair of commercial bits (Lee Valley) - one cuts a screw hole
and counterbore, the other cuts a matching plug.

2) How deep should I cut the forstener "hole"?

1/4" is plenty for the plug, plus the depth of the screwhead. If the
drill has a shallow angle, then much of this depth will be a
countersink.

3) Sanding - should I sand all my pieces before attaching the pieces with
the screws?

Yes, because it's easier when they're flat. Then sand them again after
assembly. You might just go to your first grit for the first "flat"
pass.

Unlike planing, sanding an already-sanded surface is easier than an
unsanded one.

--
Smert' spamionam