SteveB

"Scall5" wrote in message
news

I'm moving into a house soon that has a "rural" mailbox on a mail
post. Since it can not be locked I am concerned about someone
stealing my mail (e.g. ID theft). Hence my question, who sells
mailboxes that lock, has a slot for the mailperson to slide mail
into, and is less than $30.00? I have searched on the web
(Lowes, Ace Hardware, and google) to no avail. The only ones I
see are $200.00+.

Thanks for any insight.
----------------------
Scall5

If you weld, or know someone, you can reinforce your mailbox. Or make a
pipe mailbox. I had the tincan type on a 4x4 wood post when I moved out to
the country. Some young hooligans came by and played "mailbox baseball"
with it, and destroyed it. Sometimes they would destroy whole rows of them,
but mine stood by itself by our cattle guard gate. I put up a shiny new
one, and they got that too. I was welding offshore at the time, so got some
plate and pipe and made a liner for it. Mounted it to pipe. Put the pipe
into cement, and wrapped the pipe column with one bys. Mounted the pipe out
of plumb to look like it was rickety, and cocked the box on top of the post.

Within a week, I got a hit. Then, after that, about only one every year or
two. A small dent that just made it look crummier on the outside and more
inviting to mailbox baseball players. The little darlings would connect one
time, and that was it. They wouldn't touch it again. Then when they
graduated high school, the new crowd would go cruising out in the country
bashing mailboxes. I never saw them, but would have given a days pay to.

As to your question, I have no clue where you would find one for that price
unless you create one yourself, and just have to pay for materials. $30
mailboxes went the way of the 5 cent cigar. The one I have now was $250,
and I got that after someone stole checks and washed them.

Steve