Lobby Dosser

"Tom Dacon" wrote in
:

With all due respect, I doubt if A Pattern Language was actually the
inspiration for the emergence of software design patterns as a
software architecture issue. I think it's a sort of parallel evolution
of thinking, but coming from an independent origin.

On the other hand, if you can come up with some seminal reference from
the literature, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

Here's a start: http://www.xmlpatterns.com/intro2.shtml

If you DAGS "design patterns software history" or variants of same you'll
come up with a lot of references. The original software to which patterns
were applied ultimately was a collosal failure, though through no fault
of Cunningham, Beck, or the application of Patterns.

We really ought to take this discussion elsewhere, though. This is
felony thread drift in the first degree. If you'd like to pursue this,
my real email address can be worked out pretty easily.

Best regards,
Tom Dacon

"Kevin Kokal" wrote in message
.. .
Ray Aldridge wrote:
Reading the McMansion thread put me in mind of this excellent book.
Has anyone here read it? For folks who haven't, it's a book about
"what works" in architecture and in town planning. It's basically a
distilled collection of rules of thumb regarding good design and
building practices.
An example is the rule that states that a good room will have light
coming from at least two directions. In my old added-on house, we
have several submarine rooms that have all their windows in one
wall. Bad.
The nicest rooms follow the rule.

Ray

You're referring to Christopher Alexander's book, correct?
Interestingly (and OT), his work inspired a major movement within
software architecture circles, as well.

-kjk