Tom Dacon

With all due respect, I doubt if A Pattern Language was actually the
inspiration for the emergence of software design patterns as a software
architecture issue. I think it's a sort of parallel evolution of thinking,
but coming from an independent origin.

On the other hand, if you can come up with some seminal reference from the
literature, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

We really ought to take this discussion elsewhere, though. This is felony
thread drift in the first degree. If you'd like to pursue this, my real
email address can be worked out pretty easily.

Best regards,
Tom Dacon

"Kevin Kokal" wrote in message
.. .
Ray Aldridge wrote:
Reading the McMansion thread put me in mind of this excellent book. Has
anyone here read it? For folks who haven't, it's a book about "what
works" in architecture and in town planning. It's basically a distilled
collection of rules of thumb regarding good design and building
practices.
An example is the rule that states that a good room will have light
coming from at least two directions. In my old added-on house, we have
several submarine rooms that have all their windows in one wall. Bad.
The nicest rooms follow the rule.

Ray

You're referring to Christopher Alexander's book, correct?
Interestingly (and OT), his work inspired a major movement within software
architecture circles, as well.

-kjk