Jay Windley

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

| Has there actually been an interesting viewpoint into architecture
| since the beginning of the twentieth century?

Sure. A few people have mentioned some individual architects. Let me throw
in Frank Gehry. People either love his stuff or they hate it.

You can point to Luxor or Chartres or the Mormon tabernacle and say that
it's such great, distinctive architecture from the past. But you have to
also keep in mind that stuff from the past is here in the present because it
survived, and it survived because enough people deemed it worthy to survive.
The crap architecture that surely must have been around back in those times
too didn't survive because it was crap.

But here we sit in modern times looking at both the crap and the cream of
our time. The McMansions of today hopefully won't survive because they'll
be properly deemed ephemeral and unexemplary, or because they'll just fall
apart under their own crapulence. But hopefully the cream of the 20th and
21st centuries will persist.

--Jay