Aidan

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..

"Were you hoping that anybody would be impressed by that?"

No. Just plain facts, believe or disbelieve as you please.
Who cares? People can base their opinions on the content.

"After all, if you walk into a community pub as a newcomer and there
are several conversations going on at the bar, do you instantly elbow
into a conversation and tear into what other people are saying?
You could, but you wouldn't be surprised if they didn't thank you for
it."

On the contrary, if you go into a space/room allocated for a "DIY
Discussion" and persistently disrupt the discussions with irrelevant,
infantile squabbling, then probably only you would be surprised if
someone eventually asked you to shut the hell up.

However, since this is mainly a British discussion group, we usually
don't do that because we don't want to cause a scene. Instead, people
just leave, whilst muttering things under their breath like, "Tut,
tut!", or even, "Really!".

The result is that all those who might have made a valuable
contribution have gone elsewhere and the space is abandoned to the
f***wits. The f***wits eventually dominate the space, indulge in
unchallenged misbehaviour and unquestioned delusions about their own
expertise and even tell those who've come for a discussion to "Fit in
or F*** off". Me, fit in with your conduct?!

"This again demonstrates your lack of understanding of the Usenet
medium and that you have not bothered to look at the history of
threads in this group."

Since when was knowledge of Usenet, computing or the history of your
rantings a prerequisite for reading about DIY stuff? I just want to
read about push-fit plumbing.

"You would have been far better off keeping quiet and following posts
for a while and then introducing yourself into one or two threads with
useful material."

Oh, right. You mean, something like;

Using combi in stored hot water system, posted on 3/10/04

Your omitting to mention a legally-required safety device (your &
IMM's replies of 3/10/04) on an unvented system might have caused
people to wonder about the extent of your knowledge.

"I'm quite sure that if I ever met IMM, I would buy him a beer and
perhaps even dinner."

You slag each other off at every opportunity but, in the event of
your meeting, you expect that you will both behave with courtesy? How
charmingly naïve.

If we met, I would buy you both a drink.
Two cherry cokes, please, in the paper cups, with straws. Now try not
to spill it on yourselves and take it outside to the play area where
you won't annoy the grown-ups.

Finish it.