Norminn

Alex wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning on remodeling my bathroom, and I'm undecided whether I'll
put-up wallpaper, which is what's in there now, or paint the room.

With either option, are there any special types of paint or wallpaper
for bathrooms? I'm worried about the steam from the shower causing
the paint or wallpaper to peal over time.

Also, is there anything special that needs to be done to prepare the
walls? I've never messed with wallpaper (putting up or removing), but
I can get a book on this I guess.

Thanks for suggestions,

Sam

Wash the walls well to get rid of soap scum, mold, etc. Use a touch of
bleach in the water and rinse and dry well. Sand/patch any
irregularities. Prime patches if you will be painting. There are
paints labeled for use in bathrooms, but I've never used them.
Semi-gloss latex for walls, semi-gloss alkyd for trim and doors.

For papering, get a good brand of vinyl coated paper. Follow
instructions with the paper. Use a fine bead of clear silicone caulk
along bottom edge and edges adjoining shower/bath enclosure. If you
don't have a vent fan, get one. Some moisture will form on walls, and
if enough will run down the wall and loosen bottom edge of paper, esp.
near tub/shower.