Phil Addison

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:31:23 +0100, Peter
wrote:

Hi All,

I've just found this NG

Err, which one?

... the subject is exactly what I am after.

[snipped saga of poor transparency scanners]

I suppose what I want is two things:

1. a scanner which is really excellent and which I can rent for a
month or so

2. a scanner which is a lot better than the 1999 Canon...

I would really appreciate any suggestions...

It seems early scanners weren't much good at colour matching. I got
bitten by that with both a Canon LS-20 (Colorscan II) and a Minolta
Dimage Scan Multi II. Neither produce acceptable scans from colour film
and I am still looking for a solution.

Computer Shopper Oct 04 (issue 200) has an interesting review of
scanners. The Mustek BearPaw 4800TA Pro II at £60 inc VAT was highly
rated for FILM scanning although it is basically an A4 flatbed. It will
take 2 strips of 6 by 35mm.

"It's an A4 2,400x4,800dpi flatbed scanner that produces high-quality
results from photos, negatives and slides and costs much less than we'd
expect for such results."

"2,400x4,800dpi optical resolution, 48-bit colour depth, USB Hi-Speed
interface, transparency adaptor. Part code 98-155-00010"

The review is at
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/revie...ta-pro-ii.html.
I'm not sure if you need to subscribe to view it (I have).

I am coming to the conclusion that to get good results from my scanners
I need to buy some colour calibration targets and colour matching
software - not a cheap option, and as you say, the damn things should do
it as sold anyway.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me