Bill Stock

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:42:05 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

The new Ve-hicle came with roof racks, so I thought I was in sheet good
heaven. But upon closer inspection, these factory racks don't seem up to
much. I imagine they would scuff up in no time and they have no

simple/fast
way to secure goods.

I was thinking I could make a 2x4 box (50x98) and dado a some plywood

into
the bottom. I'd make a similar cover for the top, with wing nuts to hold

it
down.

I think you can buy the glides that sit in the track, so I could use

these
to hold the contraption on. I could also use the U bolt trick to hold it

the existing frame.

Any thoughts?

Make VERY sure that the roof can handle the weight and stress...
better for to be bent out of shape than you roof/doors/windows...
most suv roof racks are for looks and maybe a suit case or 2...

I plan to read the specs before I try this trick. I can get 4x4 sheets
inside, but it's a pain getting past the hatch.