Larry Jaques

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:32:07 -0700, Mark & Juanita
calmly ranted:

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:30:13 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

What is anathema to me is the concept of "volume space".

... snip
The Chrysler Building rocks; the Twin Towers (rip) suck.

Bobby Venturi can push his concept of Post-Modernism as much as he
wants but the fact is that there is nothing new contained in it. It
is a dissolution and diminution of elements and ornamentation.

I kind of understand where you are coming from, in my opinion, they
stopped writing music in about 1850 or so and it had been in decline from
the late 1780's or so until then with only a few brilliant exceptions.

Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn? Yeah, I agree. bseg

... so I can see where someone might have the same attitude and
impression of architectural trends as well.

I think Tom and you might like "The Not-So-Big House" by Sarah
Susanka if you haven't already been introduced to it or her.
She has several books out, but the original was by far her best.
http://www.notsobighouse.com/ ASIN # 1561581305
AFTER you read NSBH, get "Creating the Not So Big House", her
2nd book. They're published by Taunton, BTW.

Her tips: Limit the square footage, make THAT count with detail and
better quality materials, double/triple/re-task rooms for the way you
actually live. If that means doing without a formal living room, so
much the better.

I dislike places with Cathedral ceilings where the floor is 64F
and the roof (2 man-heights above you) is a toasty 90F. It's not
only ugly and uncomfortable, it's inefficient and expensive to
heat/cool. Stickley and the Greenes made their homes with shorter
alcoves for good reason: People like small places, where they feel
more comfortable. Sadly, the vast majority of these idiots in
mega-S/F homes are all uncomfortable most of the time and they
don't realize why. Smaller footage + more/nicer personalization =
much happier occupants of the dwelling.

Here are some of Sarah's articles:
http://www.architectureweek.com/2000...esign_1-1.html
http://www.architectureweek.com/2000...esign_1-1.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...585145-5535032

Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development
--Pandora * http://www.diversify.com