Andy Hall

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:27:16 +0100, "John Aston"
wrote:

"John Aston" wrote in message

I'll do a test to see how long it takes to fill a large bucket from the

main
supply stopcock where water comes in to the house...

I did the test at 8.30 this morning.

My main stopcock in the house is a 32mm bore quarter-turn valve*. I couldn't
take the water directly from the stopcock outlet. It had to first go through
a straight 2m run of 15mm pipe before I could discharge it into a bucket.
(*Note: There is also a 25mm quarter-turn stopcock at the water meter end of
the supply pipe.)

I comfortably filled two 15 litre buckets in one minute.

OK. That changes the picture completely. You can go for the
planned pressurised storage system and get very good results.

Two things.

Make sure that you go for a large enough HW cylinder - I would suggest
a 150litre one or more. I have a 200 litre HW cylinder for
similar requirements to yours and it does the job admirably, even in
coldest weather.

The other thing is to plan the internal pipe sizes carefully.

If the water softener is a long way from the stop tap then perhaps a
28mm pipe to it, but certainly 22mm.

For the run from there to the HW cylinder, 22mm.

If there is a run for cold water to several bathroom taps make that
22mm as well.

You can then drop down to smaller sizes closer to the taps or fit flow
restrictors.

The trick becomes to size and arrange things to provide reasonable
flow balancing.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl