willshak

Chet Hayes wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote in message news:Xoo9d.640973$M95.559949@pd7tw1no...

Entropy wrote:

I'm at a point of deciding whether to replaster my pool or demolish it. My
question for the group is: If you were a homebuyer right now, would a pool
in good condition be a plus or minus in your decision to buy?

(sorry if this is the wrong group for this question, but I've seen similar
questions answered here)

Hi,
Most realtors say negatively.
Tony

I'd have to disagree. I've seen lots of surveys, which you can
probably find with a web search, that show how much value is added to
a home for various improvements. Things like adding a bathroom or
remodeling the kitchen are always at the top. Some even add more
resale value than they cost. Pools are near the bottom of the list,
however I have never seen them detract value, they just add a lot less
than they cost.

Here's one:
http://houseandhome.msn.com/improve/...tspayback.aspx

A lot also depends on where you are located. A pool is going to be a
lot more desirable in FL than it is in MA. Are there many pools in
your neighboorhood?

I think the main reason realtors dislike pools is that a home with one
can take longer to sell. If people have small children, for example,
or are elderly they may be unwilling to buy a home with a pool, so it
rules out some buyers. On the other hand, if someone really wants a
house with a pool, they may still buy a home without it, figuring they
can add it. The realtor would just rather have it sell quickly to as
many people as possible.

I would also evaluate what the total cost of fixing up the pool vs
filling it in and relandscaping, etc., will be, how attractive the
area the pool is in, etc before I made a decision.

As for my vote, if the house had an attractive pool in good shape in
an area where it can be used enough, it would be a plus for me as a
buyer.