Art Todesco

In addition, there is the hot water problem. Most softeners are not
designed to run on hot water. So, one could put a softener on the cold
water line to a washing machine and wash with cold water. If you want
hot softened water, you probably need a separate water heater for the
washing machine. BTW, we had well water and a softener for 25+ years.
A few years ago, they piped in Lake Michigan water. There's really no
need for a softener any more. Mine is by-passed. I will be removing
the softener .... someday.

Joseph Meehan wrote:

wrote:

I live in an area that gets Lake Michigan water and conventional
wisdom typically says the water's pretty 'good' and a softener is
unnecessary.

When I visit my suburban mom and drink her softened water, or take a
shower, I cannot stand it. It tastes funny, I feel slimy and my hair
doesn't seem clean.

That said, I'm becoming a bit of a laundry fanatic and wonder if I'm
crazy to start looking for a small softener that would sit directly in
front of my washer and laundry tub and handle that water only?

~Hera

For the most part with modern detergents and reasonable water, there is
little or nothing to be gained by using a water softener.

Adding one should not be too much of a problem. It will depend mostly
on how accessible everything is, plumbing locations etc.