baker

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
news:2Gv9d.1636$tc.187@trndny02:

wrote in message
I live in an area that gets Lake Michigan water and conventional
wisdom typically says the water's pretty 'good' and a softener is
unnecessary.

When I visit my suburban mom and drink her softened water, or take a
shower, I cannot stand it. It tastes funny, I feel slimy and my hair
doesn't seem clean.

That said, I'm becoming a bit of a laundry fanatic and wonder if I'm
crazy to start looking for a small softener that would sit directly
in front of my washer and laundry tub and handle that water only?

~Hera

It can be done. You need a small capacity softener plumbed into the
line that feeds the washer. Not seeing your plumbing, I can't say how
difficult or simple it is. The softener must have access to a drain.
While it can do the laundry only, splitting the plumbing behind walls
(if it is) can be difficult.

As for the slimy feeling and hair, they are cleaner than ever; honest.
You feel slippery because you don't have the mineral residue on your
body.

That may be so, but I had a whole house softener for over five years and
was really glad when we moved. I never got used to the feeling. It
would be great having it for the washing machine and dishwasher, however.

--
It's me, Baker!

When the Chips are Down,
the Buffalo is Empty.