chris French

In message , dg
writes
"jim_in_sussex" wrote in message
. com...
"chris French" wrote in message
news:

snip

All I'm looking for is enough of a figure to be able to cost it into
the
house buying budget, any suggestions, or even just some rough costs of
extensions people have had built?
--
Chris French, Leeds

£1000/m^2 is what I've been told in numerous places, by numerous people.

Is that per m sq ground plan area, or internal floor area including
upstairs & downstairs?

There are two ways to deal with these approximate costs. One is to use
a figure of say £700 m2 for a single storey and £1000 m2 for a double,
the other is to use a figure of say £600 m2 and add together areas of
both ground and subsequent floor. Its important to know which figure
you have been given.

In each case, these are normally based on external 'footprint' on the
ground.

snip

So the only figures that should be obtained is a rough estimate from
local builders based on "... how much for a two storey side extension
with pitched roof" etc. Such estimates will normally be to the nearest
£5000

If you are working to a tight budget, m2 approximations should be avoided

We aren't at the stage of tight budgets yet, to the nearest 5 grand
would be more than precise enough for my purposes :-) In fact the
nearest 10 is more than good enough.

Just looking for a rough way to judge where to put or max purchase
price if we were to allow for building an extension
--
Chris French, Leeds