Tony Hwang

jch wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news%39d.650862$gE.155499@pd7tw3no...

jch wrote:

I just had a major remodeling done at an investment property (it's a fix
up and sell, single family detached home, not an apartment, cluster, or
town home - no one is currently living in it). During the project the
contractor turned off the gas and now there seems to be a problem getting
it back on and pilot lights lit for furnace and water heater. The gas
was turned off at the meter while some pipes in the crawl space were
removed. (We took out the old pipe to a gas dryer and wired for an
electric dryer.) Turning the gas back on at the meter and trying to
light the water heater pilot doesn't work. I haven't tried the furnace
yet. There doesn't appear to be any gas flow. We checked for other
cutoffs but there is only one in the crawl space and we have it turned
on. There is no smell of gas or movement in the meter dials when the
pilot light button is depressed on the water heater. It's an old heater
(12yrs) but was working prior to turning the gas off.
Suggestions?? Could the gas company have shut off the supply somewhere
else?? I'm still paying a minimal utility bill so the account is supposed
to be active. Could the valve have gotten clogged in the water heater
during the few weeks the gas was turned off?
Obviously I'm not the guy to check this out further unless its something
simple. Who is the best person to call for this? Gas company, plumber?
Thanks. If I end up replacing the water heater, does anyone have an idea
what the labor cost will be? It will be a major pain to remove and
replace the heater in the crawl.

Hi,
Regulator may have popped shutting off the gas. Worth checking.
Tony

I don't know too much about water heaters. How would I check that?

Hi,
Gas main line regulator is round metal like pie shaped thingy in the
main line coming into your house. It'll trigger a shut off when pressure
drops or rises suddenly. unscrew the knob like thing poking out
in the middle of pie, if the little plunger is popped, push it back in
to restore gas flow.
Tony