John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Peter E. Orban
wrote (in ) about
'Compact fluorescent light failures', on Thu, 7 Oct 2004:

I am wondering what could be the reason for such a high rate of failure?

Check if the fitting closely encloses the base of the lamp. Think 'heat
dissipation'. There's an electrolytic cap in there, and even if it's a
105 C type, it can overheat and dry up.

If the failure mechanism is that the lamp becomes increasingly reluctant
to light up, and eventually refuses entirely, the cap problem is almost
certainly the explanation.

Been there!