Robert

dundonald wrote in message . ..
I've searched the archive of this group for information to my questions. I
came close, but unfortunately the two threads I found asking the same
questions concerned terraced houses rather than detached houses.

I have a smaller sized 4 bedroom detached house built around 1982. I want
to make use of my loft to give me more floor space. ....

Access to the loft space shouldn't be an issue. There's one of the smaller
bedrooms that can be converted to accomodate the stairs up to the loft.

If the loft is to be a proper room then there are strict rules about
staircase design, fire doors and so on. I suggest you take a look at
the building regulations - many councils have a leaflet about this
kind of thing,

Robert