Conan the Librarian

dale austin wrote:

Amen to crappy McMansions-waste of a good alfalfa field. When searching
for my current home, I let the realtor know-in no uncertain terms-after
showing us a 1970's split-level ranch that I would not consider any
house built after the war. And I didn't mean the one John Wayne fought
in either. I meant the Great War. He did me one better and found us a
house built before what my friends from the South sometimes call "The
Late Unpleasantness" between the States. This puppy is framed with white
oak-including sills and joists that are 8X8 and hand-hewn.

It's not huge, but more than adequate for a family of 4-6. I'm having a
ball renovating too . .

If you are curious:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mrwizard/501/501.html

That's a beautiful place, and a wonderful website as well.

Apropros to the thread in general: If you've ever flown into the
Dallas/Forth Worth airport, you've probably seen the Texas version of
the McMansion as you began your approach. The only difference being
that in Texas each one has a swimming pool.

Chuck Vance