John Laird

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:36:53 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Simon Langford wrote:
I wonder whether the problem is that there
are so many more rads on the ground floor than on the upper floors?

Please go through the balancing procedure described in the FAQ.

To be fair, I think the OP has made some steps in that direction. Where he
probably needs help is in judging the amount to open up the LSVs on the
lower radiators so as not to starve the upper-floor units of heat. I spent
some time re-balancing my system a couple of years ago, and was quite
surprised that some radiator valves literally only need to be open half a
turn (maybe even less), while others needed to be fully open. I didn't use
a thermometer, it has to be said. All my radiators have TRVs and I wasn't
entirely convinced that you can follow a rigid approach with one valve when
at the other end of the radiator there is another working all by itself (and
in general they are almost never fully open or closed but constantly
adjusting, especially during times when the water is heating up). Even now,
some radiators take a little longer than others to warm up, but once the
system is fully heated, they are heating about as evenly as I would want.

With the vast majority of the OP's radiators on the ground floor, these are
the ones that will, in the main, need to be virtually closed off. He does
have quite a large load but the boiler is spec'd at 24kW and ought to be
able to cope. Likewise, one would hope the boiler designers fitted a
suitable size pump integral pump.

--
We had a meeting of the minds but yours didn't show up.

Mail john rather than nospam...