Tony Hwang

jch wrote:
I just had a major remodeling done at an investment property (it's a fix up
and sell, single family detached home, not an apartment, cluster, or town
home - no one is currently living in it). During the project the contractor
turned off the gas and now there seems to be a problem getting it back on
and pilot lights lit for furnace and water heater. The gas was turned off
at the meter while some pipes in the crawl space were removed. (We took out
the old pipe to a gas dryer and wired for an electric dryer.) Turning the
gas back on at the meter and trying to light the water heater pilot doesn't
work. I haven't tried the furnace yet. There doesn't appear to be any gas
flow. We checked for other cutoffs but there is only one in the crawl space
and we have it turned on. There is no smell of gas or movement in the meter
dials when the pilot light button is depressed on the water heater. It's an
old heater (12yrs) but was working prior to turning the gas off.
Suggestions?? Could the gas company have shut off the supply somewhere
else?? I'm still paying a minimal utility bill so the account is supposed to
be active. Could the valve have gotten clogged in the water heater during
the few weeks the gas was turned off?
Obviously I'm not the guy to check this out further unless its something
simple. Who is the best person to call for this? Gas company, plumber?
Thanks. If I end up replacing the water heater, does anyone have an idea
what the labor cost will be? It will be a major pain to remove and replace
the heater in the crawl.

Hi,
Regulator may have popped shutting off the gas. Worth checking.
Tony