Peter De Smidt

Robert Galloway wrote:
Well, I can't disagree but I have to ask, do Rottweilers, as a breed
have aggressive instincts? I've never seen any aggression out of this
guys dogs but then I haven't been around a large number of Rotts.

bob g.

I like Rottweilers very much, although I've never had one. At our dog
park, though, there are two rotties that are a very big problem. Both
are un-neutered males. One's about 150lbs., and one's 135lbs. Both are
very aggressive towards other large dogs. The big one will shoulder butt
and growl at another dog until the other dog has had enough and
retaliates, which is exactly what the rottie wants. The other one will
pin other dogs and not let them up. He will stand over the other dog
growling, and when the other dog tries to get up, the rottie will force
the poor dog back down. The owner's think that their dogs should by
rights be able to do these things. They're "just being dogs." My vet
once commented that she makes a pretty good living sewing up dogs "just
being dogs." I don't know how representative this behavior is. As I said
at first, I know a number of very fine rotties.

-Peter De Smidt