Doug Winterburn

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:55:27 +0000, mac davis wrote:

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:36:58 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

Doug.. I understand MOST of that... i do have a 1/4' masonite top... but I
haven't a clue what INrip & OUT rip are... they're marked on the arm of
the saw but don't seem to correspond wit anything I can measure????

Inrip is where the motor is rotated 90 degrees clockwise (looking down
from the top) from and the blade is "inside" the motor relative to the
operator. In the inrip position, the work should be fed from right
to left against the rotation of the blade.

Outrip is where the motor is rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise and the
blade is "outside" the motor relative to the operator. In the
outrip position, the work should be fed fromleft to right against the
rotation of the blade.

There should be inrip/outrip scales on the sides of the arm that give
width of rip relative to the fence in the normal (front) position and all
the way back (rear) position. These scales should have an adjustable
pointer that can be set with the blade in the inrip/outrip positions and
against the fence in the rear/front position for a zero setting.

Normally, the table comes in three pieces - front table, filler and
rear table. They are usually kept in that order on the table and the
two most common positions for the fence are between the front and
filler table or all the way back behind the rear table. You can
determine the proper combined width of the rear + filler table pieces by
examining the difference between front and rear scales for either inrip or
outrip.

-Doug

--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between