dundonald

Default loft conversion, low roof, detached house

I've searched the archive of this group for information to my questions. I
came close, but unfortunately the two threads I found asking the same
questions concerned terraced houses rather than detached houses.

I have a smaller sized 4 bedroom detached house built around 1982. I want
to make use of my loft to give me more floor space. The loft covers the
whole square of the house, but the pitch of the roof is low. I'm 6 foot and
I can't stand up straight at the heighest point. Also, sorry I don't know
what these are called, but there are pieces of wood that diagonally slant
inward and down from the roof to the floor (are they eaves?) like this:

/ \
/ \
/ \
/\ /\
/ \ / \

So, I'm guessing before I even think about a loft conversion the whole roof
will need replacing to make it a higher pitched roof and the type of roof
that doesn't require the inward slanting pieces of wood for support.

My questions a

1. Is this a common practice with most modern houses having a lower pitched
roof?

2. How much can be expected to pay for such a roof replacement?

3. And whilst we're at it, any pointers on how much the whole package (roof
replacement and loft conversion) might cost?

Access to the loft space shouldn't be an issue. There's one of the smaller
bedrooms that can be converted to accomodate the stairs up to the loft.

Many thanks.