Phisherman

Many magazines have aggressive marketing tactics. I suspect an issue
is published every two months with a end-of-year bonus issue. The
only benefit of magazines over books is the advertisements and
possibly new tool designs. I agree that Fine Woodworking and
ShopNotes cover 99% of my magazine needs.

On 6 Oct 2004 03:27:49 GMT, Michael Burton mhburtonatmomentdotnet
wrote:

I just got an offer in the mail today from Wood Magazine. It says I will
get 2 years free if I subscribe to their magazine for 1 year. Well, this
sounds great until I read, in the fine print, that the 3 years total
consists of 21 issues. OK...since when does 36 months worth of subscription
equal 21 issues in a monthly published magazine?!
I guess the "market test" is to determine how many idiots exist in their
subscriber base. Even if I misread the ad and the 21 magazines are the
"free" part, it should still be 24 issues for the "free" 2 years. So they
are trying to screw us out of at least 3 if I read the ad wrong, but more
probably 15 issues with this steaming pile of BS offer. I was thinking of
getting a subscription to "Wood" before I got this offer. Now that I think
about it, Fine Woodworking, Shop Notes, Woodsmith are plenty. I can at
least trust them to not try to take advantage of me with slick worded ad
copy.
Anybody know anything about why the mag. would try to do this? Did they
hire the Clinton's?