Doug Miller

In article , WoodMangler wrote:
John Keeney did say:

I do agree though, the only thing you can do worst than
turning your back on them is run. That just triggers
every predator-prey instinct they have.

As a cyclist, my preferred method of dealing with aggressive dogs is to
pedal a little harder and outrun them. If unable to do that due to
terrain, tired legs or laziness, I just pull out my water bottle and give
'em a little squirt in the face.

I was faced with that once -- unable to speed up fast enough to outrun the
dog. I'm sure my top speed was higher than his, but he had superior
acceleration, and I could see he would catch me. Fortunately, there was a car
coming. I waited until it was almost too late, then crossed the road in front
of the car. The dog had two options: abandon the chase, or be hit by the car.
It selected the former. The driver of the car was none too happy with me, but
that was, at the moment, not very high on my list of concerns. :-)

--
Regards,