Andy Hall

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:36:40 +0100, "John Aston"
wrote:

Hi, Andy.

Unfortunately, I have already replaced the service pipe with a new 32mm
diameter pipe. Cambridge Water tell me that they can't do anything about the
flow/pressure "because the supply is fed directly from a reservoir".

This rather suggests that their main is limited.

The best thing that you can do is to look at all the components after
the service pipe. e.g. stop cock full bore lever ball valve, 22mm
pipe internally to key points or 28mm for anything of any length,
avoid too many bends.

Space in my loft is very limited, but I do have basement space so I could
get an accumulator.

GAH make a "Dualstream" accumulator but you have to buy their rebadged
Ariston unvented hot water cylinder with it. I don't know anything about the
quality of Ariston.

For a 300 litre accumulator and 300 litre cylinder the list price is £2112
(less 40% from a distributor I'm told!). The 300 litre accumulator is 5'2"
high and almost 2' diameter so it takes up a lot of room.

I suppose that I'll have to compare the Dualstream cost with a "cistern and
pump" solution and take a view on it.

This is an expensive hobby.

I think that IMM's idea of some storage above the HW cylinder is
interesting, if you have the height. However, be careful about
making the HW cylinder too small because you risk running out of hot
water for the bath.

However......

I don't subscribe to the notion of a combi with small store running
two showers and certainly not a shower and a bath for three reasons:

- The amount of stored energy is small and once it runs out, the
performance is very poor.

- The hot water is mixed with very little cold in the winter, so the
run time will be quite short.

- You are still governed by the total delivery of water from the main.

I think that I would try to look for different ways to store cold
water high up before getting into accumulators.

If it really doesn't add up, then this may be the sensible option
though.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl