Charles Spitzer

"WoodMangler" wrote in message
news
John Keeney did say:

I do agree though, the only thing you can do worst than
turning your back on them is run. That just triggers
every predator-prey instinct they have.

As a cyclist, my preferred method of dealing with aggressive dogs is to
pedal a little harder and outrun them. If unable to do that due to
terrain, tired legs or laziness, I just pull out my water bottle and give
'em a little squirt in the face.
Even the most aggressive mutt is immediately put off by the surprise
stream of liquid into their face. It's worked on dogs of all sizes and
breeds.
There's a big, ugly mixed breed that I've done that to three times lately,
and I think he's starting to get used to it. This weekend, I think
there'll be some pepper sauce in the bottle.

a trick that motorcyclists use is to slow down a little. the dog will time
and aim their approach at your slow speed. when they're fairly close, speed
up then. the dog won't be able to adjust in time.