NSM

"Ned Konz" wrote in message
news
| No. I got one from my brother after he broke the LCD, and bought another
on
| eBay knowing that some rows were out. Only paid $20 for it, though, and
got
| a case that was worth that much that I can use with another PDA.
|
| Luckily, the two (intact) digitizers are probably worth $20 each to people
| who broke *those*.
|
| Can you buy a
| whole cable as a spare part?
|
| No, the cable is bonded to the LCD glass, and also contains the driver
| electronics. Then the cable is soldered to a PC board with more
| electronics. Unsoldering the end of the ribbon was easy with the Metcal
| knife tip (unsoldered all the connections at once), but this isn't going
| be easy to repair.

Wow. I like to say that I can solder anything from Litz wire to a copper
busbar (and have) but this one is a bitch. All I can suggest is to cut the
cable and solder the two cut ends to something manageable. I'd even consider
etching a one off PCB with tiny strips, but perhaps there is also no room
for this.