J. Clarke

John Keeney wrote:

"-linux_lad" wrote in message
J T wrote:

I was in the military (USMC) and we were trained to respond to attack
dogs like this:

1) If a dog is charging you, you will be bitten, so prepare for it. Do
not run and do not turn your back to the dog. Force your hand violently
into the dog's mouth as he opens it to bite you. Reach as deeply into
his throat as possible.

Well, even the Marines can get it wrong.
I delivered papers for more than a half dozen years as a kid,
was charged God only knows how many times but never
was bitten. Not that that boxer might not have had it in
mind but at that time I carrying a cast metal card punch
in my hand and I gave him a pretty good shot in the end
of the nose/mouth with it. Probably hurt him all most
as much as it scared me, danged thing was shoulder high
to my hip.
Later in life I took to taking a step towards them, leaning
in, putting my arms out to the side like a muscle man
pose and growling back; damned funny watching a
German Shepherd swap ends as it's digging for traction
to run the other way.

I do agree though, the only thing you can do worst than
turning your back on them is run. That just triggers
every predator-prey instinct they have.

I am curious as to why a Marine should not instead of putting his hand down
the dog's throat instead use the muzzle of his M-16 for that purpose.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)