Lionel

Kibo informs me that "Mark & Mary Ann Weiss"
stated that:

I removed the cover and the metal cage surrounding the electronics and have
been running the monitor for close to an hour now, but have not been able to
repeat the failure, presumably because of the lower operating temperature.

I suspect it's a horizontal output transistor, since most systems make that
a critical part of the HV flyback loop and they are the most stressed
component.

I doubt it's your transistor, as your monitor wouldn't have come back
from the dead after failing the first time. More likely you have a dry
joint in a hot part of the PCB, or an overheating elecrolytic. It might
be hard to find the problem area, but at least it'll be a lot easier &
cheaper to fix than a failed flyback transistor.