Ned Konz

NSM wrote:

"Ned Konz" wrote in message
| I have a Sony Clie PDA with a tear in the ribbon cable that goes to the
LCD
| Does anyone know if this kind of damage is repairable? If it takes more
than
| about 2 hours to fix, I would be better off buying a used PDA on eBay...

That one's a bitch. Can you send the Clie back for refund?

No. I got one from my brother after he broke the LCD, and bought another on
eBay knowing that some rows were out. Only paid $20 for it, though, and got
a case that was worth that much that I can use with another PDA.

Luckily, the two (intact) digitizers are probably worth $20 each to people
who broke *those*.

Can you buy a
whole cable as a spare part?

No, the cable is bonded to the LCD glass, and also contains the driver
electronics. Then the cable is soldered to a PC board with more
electronics. Unsoldering the end of the ribbon was easy with the Metcal
knife tip (unsoldered all the connections at once), but this isn't going to
be easy to repair.