firstjois

Rick Cook wrote:
firstjois wrote:

Prometheus wrote:
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 07:49:08 GMT, Rick Cook

[snip]
In fact I am told that at least some shelties have
a tendency to nip (bite) at the heels of running children and it
has to be trained out of them.

Not concerned in this case. I've seen plenty of the herding
instinct in my dog, and it's all been benign. It's pretty funny
to watch him herding the cat around the house! He also does it
with small children, but only with gentle pushes from his muzzle.

My Sheltie herds only at mealtime - his mealtime and then I'm the
sheep. His previous owners taught him to get a ball when he wants
to play and he still does this with me, ditto for any child even
looks his way. When I have a group of people here at least one
ball per person will be someplace on the floor. No one taught him
to herd the balls up and put them away.

Josie

Have you ever seen a sheltie at a kid's soccer game? Hilarous.

--RC

LOL! Hadn't ever thought of that! Must be quite a sight to see, I'd have
to gag, muzzle, and hog tie this one to keep him out of the game. Probably
need to blindfold him, too, or he'd still manage to wiggle into the game.

Josie