Simon Stroud

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
In message , Ric
writes

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Ric wrote in message ...
Hi folks,

The man (I always make this assumption - it could easily be a woman) is
coming to fit the bedroom carpet on Saturday and I have to get the
grippers
and underlay down before he comes. I think I know mostly what I need

do
but am just looking for clarification:

Grippers: I intend to nail these down (spikes pointing towards

skirting
of
course!) about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the skirting. Is this about

the
right distance and how important is the distance? Anything to watch

out
for
when going round architrave/chimney breast?

Underlay: No problems with the cutting of this - although not entirely
sure
how close it should get to the grippers - should it touch them or is

there
are a gap? I also thought that it was just a case of putting it in

place
but the packaging says that it should be fixed with staples or

adhesive-
what methods of fixing would people recommend? Once the underlay is
fitted,
what tape should be used to seal the joins?

Think that's about it - although any other tips/horror stories greatly
appreciated!

If this "person" is a carpet fitter, I'd let them decide what goes

where.

But if I let them fit it they will charge me!

I pay £1.25 per yard for fitting grippers, underlay and carpet,
(including the supply of grippers and door plates. How much can it cost
for them to do the lot?

(Waiting for you to tell me that you are having 12,000 yards of carpet
fitted g)

--
Richard Faulkner

Um, isn't carpet and underlay based on a SQUARE yardage of some kind? I can
understand grippers being on a yardage round the perimeter of the room but
the shape of the room (think square vs. very long and thin vs., heaven
forbid, circular) surely has some impact on the amount of underlay.

Or are we talking about linear length of carpet taken off the roll, then
surely the width of the carpet would come into your calculation.

.... or perhaps this is the mythical builder's so-called "yard" that skip
capacity (presumably volume) seems to be measured in?

Regards,
Simon.