Quigs

Thanks - all looks like sound advice!

Yes we are North of Guildford - Bisley in fact. The aerials do seem to
point to London rather than Guildford.

Unfortunately I can't really judge aerial types by what the neighbours
have, as shall we say the neighbours are all pretty elderly as are
their houses and TV aerials - I doubt they even know digital telly has
arrived - they certainly don't have Sky either ;-) No dishes to
look at!!

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..
On 3 Oct 2004 03:16:30 -0700, (Quigs) wrote:

Just about to replace the TV aerial at home as the current one isn't
quite up to the job for the freeview signal, (have to boost it).

There seem to be a wide array of aerials available, and they say for
strong signal areas, or weak signal areas etc. Is there anyway I can
find out what type of area I am officially in - GU24, or should I just
buy a weak signal area like at
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXD48.html, because it covers all
the bases?!

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT45.html

would be a much better choice.

If the signal really is poor, then you could use

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT75.html

I have two of these and they are excellent.

You could perhaps use an antenna for the channel group of your
transmitter, but you need to determine which transmitter it is first

GU24 is a large area, but somewhere north of Guildford, yes?

Take a look at the antennas on neighbouring houses. At a guess
they are probably with elements horizontal and pointing towards
London.? If so, then the transmitter is Crystal Palace and you could
use a group A antenna. If the antennas have elements vertically
arranged and pointing towards Guildford, then it is the relay station
there and a group B antenna is needed.

The wideband type would be suitable for either.

Also what is the most appropriate co-ax to use - as I am building my
extension I need to wire to all my new rooms, but should I use just
standard co-ax as at
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ite/index.html
or is there a better alternative?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAPF100B.html

would be suitable.

Don't use the TV coax at all - it is rubbish.

Gary Quigley
See my build at http://www.wilcotclose.co.uk

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl