Swingman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"patrick conroy" wrote in message
That's one of a coupl'a things I hate about ours. A three car garage
dominates the elevation. The front door is almost an afterthought off to
the side.

I grew up with garages in the back.
I guess most folks think it a security hazard, but I sure wish mine was
around back.

Come$ down to $$$ in many cases.

Trust me, that's ALL it comes down to.

Putting the garage in back or even on the
side requires more paving, maybe even more land for the driveway. Three
and four care homes are fairly common these days also. I'm glad I left the
city many years ago because parking is a nightmare in many areas.

You can build a much bigger POS with a front loading garage on a smaller lot
.... also it's often difficult to get a SUV into a rear garage on the 50' X
100' lots that are so prevalent these days and still get 3000sf of house,
which is about as small as the market will bear in some areas.

Not to mention that porches that you can actually sit on and enjoy are some
of the most expensive real estate on the market.

All the above notwithstanding, I am seeing a trend toward smaller houses in
the last couple of years as the population gets older. AAMOF, I am building
one now in one of the most desirable, upscale areas of Houston that is only
2980sf, with porches and balconies front and back, and a garage in the back.
Whether we can sell it at the going rate for other houses in the area
remains to be seen.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04