bugbear

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:00:19 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

In selecting a front vice for my work bench, I am intrigued by the pattern
maker's vice

I've not used that one, but I do use a friend's bench with
Axminster's Emmett pattern

To quote past posts of mine:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...6btnG%3DSearch

An Emmett pattern patternmaker's vice is handy, and quite affordable
for the modern Taiwanese repros. A great second vice, they're not so
good as an only vice. They're always on the skew, so they're less
rapid to clamp up square things, which is after all what you do most
of the time. They're also difficult to mount rigidly on some types of
bench.

My solution to many (not all) of the problems a pattern makers
vise can solve is this:

http://www.geocities.com/plybench/tour.html#vise_stick

If you need to hold non-rectangular items, you can use
a jaw insert, similar to the emmert design.

BugBear