Rick Cook

Leon wrote:

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
You're not gonna like this, but. . .

The reason the dog displayed unacceptable levels of aggression is that it
wasn't
properly trained. Just being around people (socialization) is important,
but it
is not enough for any dog. You have to train them in what you want them to
do.

Um are you saying that the dog had to be "Properly" trained to not attack
and kill? Seems to be contrary to what you have been indicating about Pitt
Bulls.

I'm saying any medium to large dog must be properly trained in addition to being
socialized with the family. It is not just about 'attacking and killing'. It
includes everything from not charging the door when excited to responding to the
leash properly and not trying to drag you all over the place, jumping up on
people, etc. Above all, the dog has to be trained well enough to be under
control at all times.

A dog that challenges other animals or people is an extreme example of a dog in
bad need of training. So is a dog that crashes into the door an in effort to get
at someone or something on the other side.

This is especially important with a large, strong dog. You _have_ to train
them
or you're going to have trouble.

Some maybe but not all. Take the Great Dane for instance, a fantastac
indoor dog and superior around kids. Or a Lab, again naturally great around
kids.

Have you ever been around a poorly trained Great Dane or Lab? It's no fun and it
is dangerous. I very nearly had my head taken off by a Great Dane when I was a
kid because I approached the dog where it was sitting on the grass with its
owner. Fortunately the dog was on a leash. I have some friends who had a Dane
who was as mellow as you describe -- unless he thought the family's daughter was
in danger. Unfortunately the dog didn't have very good discrimination as to what
constituted 'danger.' It took some doing for them to train that out of him.

The bottom line is that any medium to large dog needs to be carefully socialized
and trained. It's a fundamental responsibility of owning a big dog of any breed.

--RC