Rick Cook

AAvK wrote:

I have used sewing machine oil for flattening the bottom of planes, however
and it worked well.

Really? That is what I am doing now with a stanley #4 type 19, on sand paper
which is on thick glass, super 77 and dry with no oil, but what is your media,
a tool or the same as what I'm doing?

For flattening I use a sheet of plate glass with wet or dry sandpaper lubricated
with sewing machine oil. The lubricant keeps the paper from loading up so quickly
and makes it last longer. I've also found it pays to go to an auto supply store and
get high-quality sandpaper.

I also use the same setup for sharpening plane blades, woodworking chisels and
similar tools. (My woodcarving chisels get a different treatment, in part because
they have a different profile.)

--RC

This plane was used a lot for a long time but it was never tuned, the factory
grinding marks are still on the sole and still a lot of hills and valleys. Wanna
get it real smooth.

Alex

In my experience, just flattening the sole of a plane makes a huge difference in how
well it works.